San Jose State put a scare into the Stanford opener until the final minutes of the game, and a roundup of all the top 25 women’s volleyball coverage from Friday night.
Stanford 20, San Jose State 17 (Final)
It was a quick 14-0 start for the Cardinal, but the Spartans kept it close and dominated the third quarter with two touchdowns to tie the game up at 17 all. Place kicker Jordan Williamson made his second field goal of the night early on in the fourth quarter, giving the lead back to the Cardinal. After a flurry of punts, Ed Reynolds finally picked it off with 1:18 to go to finally end the hopes of a San Jose upset.
Outside of the interception, Spartan quarterback David Fales looked pretty good going 24-35 for 216 yards and a touchdown. But Stepfan Taylor stole the show with 126 rushing yards and a touchdown, leading his offense who struggled to convert on third downs all night (only converted two of 13).
- 17th-ranked Oregon swept Western Carolina 3-0
Ducks held Catamounts to just six points in first set. Ariana Williams had the best efficiency with 7-10 kills in the two sets she played.
- 3rd-ranked UCLA swept Northeastern 3-0
- 5th-ranked USC swept Northern Iowa 3-0
- 9th-ranked Stanford lost to Penn State 3-2
- 12th-ranked Washington defeated both Purdue and LSU 3-0
- 25th-ranked California got swept by Baylor 3-0